In case you need to catch up on proceedings, check out our blog posts about:
- the passage of the bill during August
- consideration of amendments on Tuesday
- consideration of amendments on Wednesday.
Proceedings on Thursday
Similar to Wednesday, the House resolved into committee of the whole following formalities to consider amendments to the bill.
The House voted on four sets of amendments, with two sets being agreed to, relating to conscientious objection by health practitioners and sex selection.
The House adjourned at 10.30 pm. There are still many more amendments to consider and it is likely that when the House sits on Tuesday, there will be further consideration of amendments.
The following table provides a brief snapshot of the views of members on the amendments voted on Thursday. Debate on many of these amendments was very lengthy, with many nuanced arguments from those who supported or opposed the amendments. For the full picture read the Hansard transcript.
* These numbers refer to the amendment sheets on the bill’s webpage.
The following members spoke to the adjournment debate:
- Mr Martin – Central Coast Medical School
- Mr D’Adam – Workplace safety
- Mr Roberts – Payroll Tax
- Mr Franklin – Gordon Elvery 100th Birthday
- Mr Graham – Parliamentary Friends of Australian Music Tribute to Graham Freudenberg.